Compsci 82, Fall 2009, Annie Antón

luis
(from an interview published in IEEE Security and Privacy June 2007)

Well, privacy means a lot of things to a lot of different peo- ple. But I look at that first definition by Warren and Brandeis --- the right to be let alone. In today’s context, I think it really means that you’re able to control information about your- self and reveal things about yourself based on your own decisions, rather than having other people reveal things about you.

(from a talk at Harvard, May 6, 2009, Designing Software Systems that Comply with Privacy Laws)

Properly protecting information is in all our best interests, but it is a complex undertaking. The fact that regulation is often written by non-technologists, introduces additional challenges and obstacles. Moreover, those who design systems that collect, store, and maintain sensitive information have an obligation to design systems holistically within this broader context of regulatory and legal compliance.

(from Prof. Antón's commencement address to her high school alma mater, 2007)

We each have our personal crosses to bear in life. But, I'm convinced that the crosses we bear are the greatest gifts we receive from God because they make us stronger and help us to never take anything for granted and to savor every moment of every day. I suspect I've worked much harder than many of those around me to overcome my challenges, but I have no regrets. Trust me when I say that the more you put into something, whether it be your Church, your family, your friends, your education, or your job, the more you, and those around you, will get out of it.

It's unfortunate how those to whom things come easy are sometimes satisfied with just getting by and taking the easiest path. In contrast, there are those who struggle mightily to overcome obstacles and they persevere until they succeed. Just think about the many inspiring Olympic athletes who overcome debilitating injuries and then win the gold medal! You should never be satisfied with just getting by. Never settle for the easy path.

home page

The Privacy Place