CompSci 307
Fall 2021
Software Design and Implementation

Weekly Journal : CompSci Autobiography

Writing in a journal reminds you of your goals and of your learning in life. It offers a place where you can hold a deliberate, thoughtful conversation with yourself. — Robin Sharma

Submission

Submit a Markdown formatted plain text file, named week01_autobiography.md, to the individual portfolio_NETID repository provided for you in the course's Gitlab group.

All submissions for this course will be based on only the version of your files in the provided Gitlab repository by 3:07am ET in the morning on the day after that given on the course Calendar (so it is effectively a few extra hours grace time past midnight).

Markdown is an industry standard, simple, plain text format for providing style guidelines that can be transformed into any other document format. IntelliJ includes a Markdown editor that provides a preview or there is a web-based editor that provides similar functionality.

Specification

Before you start this course, take a moment to reflect on your goals and motivations for taking this course and how your programming experiences have affected you and shaped your decision to study Computer Science and to take this course specifically.

These questions are intended to help us get to know you better and will not affect your grade in any way. Answer honestly and explain your thoughts:

1. Provide 5 separate completions for the sentence "I am ..."
    Write 5 non-negative "I am" statements with each on a separate line. They can be positive, such as "I am a good debugger" or "I am honest" or "I am a hard worker". They can be neutral, such as "I am a procrastinator" or "I am funny". Try to avoid negative statements such as "I am bad a math" or "I am not confident".
  2. How did you become interested in Computer Science?
  3. Do you use programming outside of class, in your daily life? If so, how?
  4. Describe a favorite programming project you have worked on.
  5. Describe your best or worst programming experience.
  6. What is your primary motivation for taking this course?
  7. What, if any, steps do you take to deliberately plan and design the code you write?
  8. Would you encourage a younger relative to pursue Computer Science?
    If so, what advice would give them? If not, what would your concerns be?
  9. What role, if any, do you think Computer Scientists should have in solving societal-level problems?
  10. How do you see yourself using Computer Science in the future?