- Lecture: Monday and Wednesday 1:45-3:00pm, Wilkinson 132
- Instructor: Danyang Zhuo (email)
- TA: Jingrong Chen (email)
Course description and grading
- This is a graduate-level seminar course on data center and cloud systems. In each meeting, we discuss one research paper. There will be 2 students presenting and leading discussion, and you are required to read the paper before the meeting and participate actively in the discussion. Before each meeting, you need to write a paper review.
- You need to complete one research project. Team size is up to 4 students. By the end of the semester, your team need to finish a 6-page research paper in USENIX format. The research project must contain a substantial software development component. You can pick one of the following styles:
- Survey one area in computer systems, and compare performance among candidate software
- Model, improve, or build a mini-version of an existing research paper
- Preliminary evaluation of some early-stage ideas
- Talk to the instructor if you don’t have a project idea.
- Your grade is computed in the following way:
- Warmup programming assignment (10%)
- Paper presentation (10%)
- Participation in discussion (15%)
- Paper review (15%)
- Research Project (50%) = Proposal (5%) + Checkpoint (5%) + Presentation and Report (40%)
- Autograder (Gradescope): https://www.gradescope.com/courses/347640
- Discussion (Ed Discussion): Login through Sakai
Our discussions are centered around three major themes: (1) distributed systems, (2) computer networking, and (3) cluster management.