The world needs character-building education, not puppet-producing education. ― Abhijit Naskar
- Should we try to submit something to the Education Sciences Journal Special Issue "Scenarios of Innovative Technologies in Education: Scenarios, Impacts, and Beyond"?
- You are encouraged to take Duke's Roots Courses, since you will likely be learning a new language, framework, or technology outside of class this semester to complete a project
- Current Readings
- Current Work
- Present about Gamification, due in class Wednesday, February 21
- Update Online "Book"
- demos in class Wednesday, February 28
- final version due by the end of the day Sunday, March 3
- updated version based on user feedback, due by the end of the day Friday, March 8
- View previous announcements
This course is about building Educational Technology artifacts, pedagogically built from learning principles, and iteratively improved based on user feedback. You will explore, discuss, and build prototypes related to current topics and trends in EdTech. You will analyze existing projects, describe and prototype extensions, and perhaps build new content and functionality. You will identify potential users, their needs, and technology's value through multiple iterations based on user and peer feedback. You will learn foundational Educational theory and pedagogy to provide proper context for designing and evaluating the value of technology.
This course will be very much student-directed, with most meetings student presentations and discussions of topics drawn from different areas of Education Technology or progress reports on projects. Additionally, you will be responsible for creating notes and links for each week's discussion.
Feedback is Welcome
Help me improve the course. The Computer Science department at Duke University aims to excel in education and research. If you find your efforts are not being well directed towards learning, please let me know so I can help remedy the situation — the goal is not to work you simply for work's sake!
Help me improve the website. Please inform me of any broken links or otherwise misleading or confusing content and I will get it fixed as soon as possible.
My goal is to adapt the subject and delivery of this course to meet your needs while maintaining our high standards.